Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Cast About Your Eyes and Be Healed
June 2, 2014

SO MANY THINGS HAVE HAPPENED! First, I'm staying in Grand Junction another transfer! Sister Winkelman is being transferred and we will find out where tomorrow and I'll get a new companion! Missions are excittinngggggggggggggg!
Before I tell you all of the stories that happened this week, I want to share something about Jesus Christ and faith that I learned. So many times we hear about 'having faith in Jesus Christ', but how do you start that?  How do you get that seed of faith to begin with? When you feel lost and don't know what to do,  how do you even begin to find your Savior? How do you begin the healing process?

In Alma 33:19 it compared it to Moses, when He told the people that if they looked upon the serpent they would live. "Behold, he was spoken of by Moses; yea, and behold a type was raised up in the wilderness, that whosoever would look upon it might live. And many did look and live." so those that looked upon it, lived. But there were some who's hearts were hardened, and they would not look" Maybe they didn't understand because they were distracted by things in their life other than what was truly important. Their focus wasn't where it should be. They didn't know God.  They didn't have an eternal perspective. "But few understood the meaning of those things, and this because of the hardness of their hearts. But there were many who were so hardened that they would not look, therefore they perished. Now the reason they would not look is because they did not believe that it would heal them." it's when I read this that I understood how it related to finding faith in Jesus Christ. All we have to do is look for Him, and we will be healed. BELIEVE that Jesus Christ will heal you, redeem you, walk with you, help you. Sometimes life can seem overwhelming and complicated, but it's when we "merely cast about our eyes" that we are healed.  All we have to do is look for our Savior Jesus Christ and believe that He died for us, and that He was truly resurrected and we will be also one day. Jesus Christ is in everything. He is all around us, in our wonderful families, in the beautiful creations outside, in the Spirit that we feel at church, in our friends, in our talents, and in so much more. Stop and think about where Jesus Christ is in your life, and write down one thing where you know He is in your life!  "O my brethren, if ye could be healed by merely casting about your eyes that ye might be healed, would ye not behold quickly, or would ye rather harden your hearts in unbelief, and be slothful, that ye would not cast about your eyes, that ye might perish?"

This week INDICA WAS BAPTIZED!!!!! It was such a special experience because we have been working with her since we got here. I don't even know how to begin to tell you how special this girl is! She is only 11,  but she has an understanding of the gospel that is so rare. She truly is blessed with the gift of having faith in her Savior. When she was baptized, Heavenly Father's love just filled the room! It was so clear to me that her Heavenly Father knew her perfectly and was just so happy on this day! She is the perfect example of just looking for Christ in her life. she recognizes it everywhere. My favorite thing is when she prays- she always says thank you for all of our blessings, especially the ones that go unnoticed. I LOVE HER TO DEATH!!!!!
There was one lesson yesterday that stuck out to me that I wanted to share. We have been teaching this lady's husband for a few months now, and the first several lessons he would just frown and stare out the window.  He has been taught by missionaries for like 5 years. He wouldn't really listen and didn't like when we asked him questions. But yesterday we saw the biggest miracle in the entire world! It was sister Winkelman's last lesson with him and we just bore our testimonies to him of how much he is loved. I have never felt so strongly that Heavenly Father had a plan for someone. Heavenly Father planned for us to be here, and it was prepared from the pre-mortal life that we would find him and touch his heart. He was brought to tears when we told him this and he said that he knew the truth! The Spirit was so strong and I know that I say that a lot but I wish you could just feel how REAL it is. I never want to give up being a missionary because of the experiences we have every day.  I know without a doubt Christ was in our midst that day as we taught Him. He was such a changed man and I know without a doubt that Spirit softens any heart.
We also got to teach our favorite family this week, the one that we talk about every week. I think I always talk about the "best lesson" we had with them, but I swear THIS was the best lesson! I don't even know how to describe it in words! so I won't. but I'll tell you about the closing prayer that "B" gave at the end. I don't remember it word for word but this is what I do remember:  "Dear Lord, thank you for sending Sisters Gregerson and Winkelman to "K" and I. I am so thankful for what they have brought to us. I am so excited for this "beginning of an end", where we get to start on our path to salvation. They have shown me a spiritual world that frankly, I didn't think existed. I'm thankful that I've gotten to learn about this religion that I hadn't heard of until 2 months ago. I'm thankful for you sending the Barney family to me, because they are an example of how I want to raise my family. Even though I was skeptical of this at first, and even though I  haven't read much of the Book of Mormon yet, they have won me over and I feel I have found the truth. In the name of Christ, amen."

This is the truth. Hard times are coming. Following Jesus Christ will carry us through. The hastening of the work is not happening for no reason. It's happening because this is the last dispensation that was opened by the prophet Joseph Smith. It was prophesied that this would happen. We live here now because we were prepared in the pre-mortal world to come and fight for Christ now. We are strong enough to do it. I love my Savior so much and I love the gospel of Jesus Christ.   The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is Christ's church restored. It is true.


No comments:

Post a Comment